Friday, April 03, 2009

FOOD AND SHOPS

The shops - here everything is in Japanese, you can’t even imagine!!! Coming here without knowing Japanese – you cannot buy anything in the grocery or in other shop. You know the labels in Bulgaria are always written in several languages but here – only in Japanese!!! Not even a single one in English! So actually it is very difficult to buy food in shops or something else. At least it was written shampoo and conditioner in English so I could buy some! I feel lucky I can read the katakana and some Japanese too so I can find what I need. Like ボヂワッシュ(bodiwasshu) is body-wash or shower gel. YEY, I bought one. But it was so funny when I was looking for soap. Of course I didn’t go by myself in the shops here at least the first couple of times. So I just had to say what I needed and they got me to the stand. But it’s always funnier when I’m by myself. In the food shop I spent more than 1 hour choosing what to buy and it the end I didn’t see cornflakes…. anywhere! Of course just before going out I saw some. I told you I have some meals in the dormitory right? But actually after the first 2 weeks I don’t like them so much and decided that I have to save some money and I will buy some food like yogurt and cornflakes and it’s cheaper. The food there isn’t expensive though but when I buy a box of cornflakes it’s 300 yen (3 USD) and I can eat it every morning for at least 4-5 days. For example the breakfast in dormitory is 288 Yen and I’m just TIRED of eating rice, you know? So this week was very refreshing – I had cornflakes in the mornings with some milk, sandwich and salad for dinner/lunch and of course I bought a lot of instant ramen and soba (noodles). So I will survive! When I’m talking about the food I will mention that here they ARE NOT USING THE KNIFE while eating. They use spoon and fork but knife? No!!! And when I told this to my mom she told me that my father wouldn’t survive there because he wants his knife even when he eats soup, you know? And one day I had some stake (bought from the supermarket previous day) and I used knife… in the end someone asked me where did I have this knife, may be brought it from Bulgaria? It was funny because they aren’t using them while eating so I think that they haven’t even noticed that there are some in the shops. Of course they are using some for cooking but not for eating. OMG! Anyways, I’m very good with chopsticks so you don’t have to worry.

Which reminds me to show you this - my obento set (lunch box)! I bought it from 百円(hyaku en) shop. The equivalent of Bulgarian 1 lev shop. So cute things! I will definitely bring them in Bulgaria.

And also this:




I licked my chops (бях му се наточила на това, облизвах си пръстите) to eat this sushi last week and today I bought it for the good work I did during this days. Yummy!!!

OK let’s end with the food topic

1 comment: